U.S.-IRAQ: Fallon Derided Petraeus, Opposed the Surge
By Gareth Porter*
WASHINGTON, Sep 12 (IPS) – In sharp contrast to the lionisation of Gen. David Petraeus by members of the U.S. Congress during his testimony this week, Petraeus’s superior, Admiral William Fallon, chief of the Central Command (CENTCOM), derided Petraeus as a sycophant during their first meeting in Baghdad last March, according to Pentagon sources familiar with reports of the meeting.
Fallon told Petraeus that he considered him to be “an ass-kissing little chickenshit” and added, “I hate people like that”, the sources say. That remark reportedly came after Petraeus began the meeting by making remarks that Fallon interpreted as trying to ingratiate himself with a superior.
That extraordinarily contentious start of Fallon’s mission to Baghdad led to more meetings marked by acute tension between the two commanders. Fallon went on develop his own alternative to Petraeus’s recommendation for continued high levels of U.S. troops in Iraq during the summer.
The enmity between the two commanders became public knowledge when the Washington Post reported Sep. 9 on intense conflict within the administration over Iraq. The story quoted a senior official as saying that referring to “bad relations” between them is “the understatement of the century”.
Fallon’s derision toward Petraeus reflected both the CENTCOM commander’s personal distaste for Petraeus’s style of operating and their fundamental policy differences over Iraq, according to the sources.
The policy context of Fallon’s extraordinarily abrasive treatment of his subordinate was Petraeus’s agreement in February to serve as front man for the George W. Bush administration’s effort to sell its policy of increasing U.S. troop strength in Iraq to Congress.
In a highly unusual political role for an officer who had not yet taken command of a war, Petraeus was installed in the office of Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Republican from Kentucky, in early February just before the Senate debated Bush’s troop increase. According to a report in The Washington Post Feb. 7, senators were then approached on the floor and invited to go McConnell’s office to hear Petraeus make the case for the surge policy.
Fallon was strongly opposed to Petraeus’s role as pitch man for the surge policy in Iraq adopted by Bush in December as putting his own interests ahead of a sound military posture in the Middle East and Southwest Asia — the area for which Fallon’s CENTCOM is responsible.
The CENTCOM commander believed the United States should be withdrawing troops from Iraq urgently, largely because he saw greater dangers elsewhere in the region. “He is very focused on Pakistan,” said a source familiar with Fallon’s thinking, “and trying to maintain a difficult status quo with Iran.”
By the time Fallon took command of CENTCOM in March, Pakistan had become the main safe haven for Osama bin Laden’s al Qaeda to plan and carry out its worldwide operations, as well as being an extremely unstable state with both nuclear weapons and the world’s largest population of Islamic extremists.
Plans for continued high troop levels in Iraq would leave no troops available for other contingencies in the region.
Fallon was reported by the New York Times to have been determined to achieve results “as soon as possible”. The notion of a long war, in contrast, seemed to connote an extended conflict in which Iraq was but a chapter.
Fallon also expressed great scepticism about the basic assumption underlying the surge strategy, which was that it could pave the way for political reconciliation in Iraq. In the lead story Sep. 9, The Washington Post quoted a “senior administration official” as saying that Fallon had been “saying from Day One, ‘This isn’t working.’ ”
One of Fallon’s first moves upon taking command of CENTCOM was to order his subordinates to avoid the term “long war” — a phrase Bush and Secretary of Defence Robert M. Gates had used to describe the fight against terrorism.
Fallon was signaling his unhappiness with the policy of U.S. occupation of Iraq for an indeterminate period. Military sources explained that Fallon was concerned that the concept of a long war would alienate Middle East publics by suggesting that U.S. troops would remain in the region indefinitely.
During the summer, according to the Post Sep. 9 report, Fallon began to develop his own plans for redefine the U.S. mission in Iraq, including a plan for withdrawal of three-quarters of the U.S. troop strength by the end of 2009.
The conflict between Fallon and Petraeus over Iraq came to a head in early September. According to the Post story, Fallon expressed views on Iraq that were sharply at odds with those of Petraeus in a three-way conversation with Bush on Iraq the previous weekend. Petraeus argued for keeping as many troops in Iraq for as long as possible to cement any security progress, but Fallon argued that a strategic withdrawal from Iraq was necessary to have sufficient forces to deal with other potential threats in the region.
Fallon’s presentation to Bush of the case against Petraeus’s recommendation for keeping troop levels in Iraq at the highest possible level just before Petraeus was to go public with his recommendations was another sign that Petraeus’s role as chief spokesperson for the surge policy has created a deep rift between him and the nation’s highest military leaders. Bush presumably would not have chosen to invite an opponent of the surge policy to make such a presentation without lobbying by the top brass.
Fallon had a “visceral distaste” for what he regarded as Petraeus’s sycophantic behaviour in general, which had deeper institutional roots, according to a military source familiar with his thinking.
Fallon is a veteran of 35 years in the Navy, operating in an institutional culture in which an officer is expected to make enemies in the process of advancement. “If you are Navy captain and don’t have two or three enemies, you’re not doing your job,” says the source.
Fallon acquired a reputation for a willingness to stand up to powerful figures during his tenure as commander in chief of the Pacific Command from February 2005 to March 2007. He pushed hard for a conciliatory line toward and China, which put him in conflict with senior military and civilian officials with a vested interest in pointing to China as a future rival and threat.
He demonstrated his independence from the White House when he refused in February to go along with a proposal to send a third naval carrier task force to the Persian Gulf, as reported by IPS in May. Fallon questioned the military necessity for the move, which would have signaled to Iran a readiness to go to war. Fallon also privately vowed that there would be no war against Iran on his watch, implying that he would quit rather than accept such a policy.
A crucial element of Petraeus’s path of advancement in the Army, on the other hand, was through serving as an aide to senior generals. He was assistant executive officer to the Army Chief of Staff, Gen. Carl Vuono, and later executive assistant to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen. Henry Shelton. His experience taught him that cultivating senior officers is the key to success.
The contrasting styles of the two men converged with their conflict over Iraq to produce one of the most intense clashes between U.S. military leaders in recent history.
*Gareth Porter is an historian and national security policy analyst. His latest book, “Perils of Dominance: Imbalance of Power and the Road to War in Vietnam”, was published in June 2005.
- Vantucky Corruption, Mormon Public-Sector Infiltration, Racism, Hate Crimes, Cabals, Cover-ups
- VANTUCKY: A CESSPOOL OF CORRUPTION: VPD OFFICER UNDER IA INVESTIGATION
- Matt L’Hommedieu An Innocent Man: Case Exposing Massive Corruption in Washington State Government and Local Feds
- FBI DOESN’T CARE ABOUT GOVERNMENT CORRUPTION
- MEMOIRS OF AN INNOCENT MAN: STORY OF FRAMING AND MASSIVE CORRUPTION IN CLARK COUNTY, WA.
- 4th Media (180)
- 9-11 cOVERUPS (7)
- 9-11 Videos and Articles (7)
- A Radical BlackFoot (96)
- Aboriginal Law (39)
- Academia and Academics (91)
- Academia as Fraud (38)
- AMERICA: GENOCIDE THE FATHER (9)
- AMERICAN HUBRIS AND CULTURE (80)
- ANGLO-AMERICAN EUGENICS AND NAZISM (17)
- Behind the Masks of the Democratic Party (60)
- bOSTON (3)
- Brasscheck Videos (2)
- Brzezinski War Criminal (4)
- Bumper Sticker "Faith" in Bumper Sticker America (12)
- Bushes (12)
- Canadian and American Holocausts (28)
- Canadian Genocide (19)
- Canadian Racism and Genocide (16)
- Capitalism (15)
- CAPITALISM AND ENVIRONMENT (8)
- Capitalism and Psycho-Sociopathy (121)
- CAPITALISM AND RELIGION (13)
- China (35)
- China-U.S. Relations (83)
- CIA past (58)
- CIA Terrorism (100)
- Clark College (52)
- CLARK COLLEGE: PUBLIC DOCUMENTS ON SERIOUS ISSUES (58)
- CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIANS AGAINST IMPERIALSIM (2)
- Conspiracy against Rights and under Color of Law (115)
- Corruption and Intrigue in Government (118)
- CORRUPTION IN "HIGHER" EDUCATION (78)
- CorruptWA (45)
- COUNTERPUNCH (1)
- Coup in Egypt (2)
- courage and treachery in government (85)
- cross-cultural understanding (18)
- Dalai Lama and Western Imperialism (12)
- Decline of the American Imperium (119)
- Dialectics (71)
- DPRK AND U.S. (13)
- DPRK AND WAR WITH US (14)
- Economic Development (99)
- EINSTEIN'S WRITINGS AND APHORISMS (1)
- ELITES AND NEW WORLD ORDER (70)
- Epistemology (90)
- ESSAYS GLOBAL (3)
- Eugenics Movement (22)
- Expert Witness Radio Mike Levine (12)
- eXTRAORDINARY (2)
- EXTRAORDINARY RENDITIONS (6)
- Faces of Fascism (197)
- FALSE FLAGS (94)
- Fascism in America (192)
- FBI-CIA MACHINATIONS (66)
- FBI-DOJ CORRUPTION (105)
- Feral Scholar (5)
- First Nations in Canada (9)
- FOUNDATIONS OF FASCISM IN AMERICA (124)
- Free Leonard Peltier (10)
- Genocide in and From America (145)
- GITMO AND TORTURE (5)
- Global Inequality (7)
- global research (9)
- Government Corruption (91)
- HARPER TERMINATION PLAN FOR FIRST NATIONS (7)
- HISTORICAL REVISIONISM (30)
- Hubris and Braggadocio (51)
- IMPERIAL HUBRIS AND INTRIGUE (173)
- Imperial Hypocrisy and Intrigue (174)
- Indigenous Issues (116)
- Indigenous Science (93)
- Insurgent American (7)
- International Law and Nuremberg Precedents (163)
- iNTERVIEWS ON CRITICAL ISSUES OF THE TIMES (45)
- Investigating Mormonism pro and con (18)
- Israeli Blackmail of Clintons (1)
- JSOC and SOC (37)
- KISSINGER AS WAR CRIMINAL (7)
- Korean Issues (15)
- Legal Actions on Genocide (64)
- Legal System Corruption (62)
- Logic of Capitalism and Imperialism (49)
- Mainstream Economics (3)
- Mainstream Media (MSM) Shills (118)
- Masters of the Universe (52)
- MATT L'HOMMEDIEU CASE (2)
- Meme Warfare and Imperialism (109)
- MEMEONOMICS: Economics and EconomistS;: Capitalism and its Theories (38)
- MICHAEL HASTINGS DEATH (3)
- Mike Levine (5)
- MIND CONTROL (7)
- MIND CONTROL AND PROPAGANDA (60)
- MONTHLY REVIEW (2)
- Mormon Racism (36)
- Mormonism (32)
- Mormonism and Imperialism (3)
- MSM AND GENOCIDE (16)
- MSM Mainstream Media Sycophancy (151)
- Musical Memetics (2)
- NATIONAL AND LOCAL (1)
- NATIONAL SECURITY-SURVEILLANCE STATE (106)
- NED and other Fronts of Imperialism (82)
- Neoclassical Economics and Neoliberalism as Neo-Imperialism (64)
- Neoliberalism and Neoclassical Theory (38)
- Neoliberalism as Neoimperialism (53)
- New World Order (164)
- Noam Chomsky (2)
- Nuremberg Precedents (161)
- Obama's Biography (23)
- Occupy Wall Street and other Occupy Groups (8)
- Old Publications Still Relevant (1)
- On Leadership (7)
- Operation GLADIO (8)
- Petitions on Korea (1)
- Petraeus (13)
- Political Economy (130)
- present and future (2)
- Psychopathic Management (87)
- Psychopaths and Sociopaths in Politics (150)
- Psychopaths in Management (169)
- Psyops (126)
- RACISM AND XENOPHOBIA (9)
- Radical Humor (3)
- Radical Poetry (5)
- REAL U.S. PRESIDENTIAL BIOGRAPHIES (10)
- Rense.com (3)
- Response to Readers (1)
- Rockefellers and Nazi Eugenics (23)
- Romney on the Couch (2)
- Schadenfreude Blog (4)
- Science and Method (89)
- Skull and Bones and Elite Societies (9)
- SLAVERY THE MOTHER (1)
- Social Systems Engineering Campaigns (138)
- Speeches (12)
- Statistics on the Decline of USA (14)
- STRATFOR (1)
- Sustainability (65)
- The Ave (1)
- The Sixth Estate (199)
- Theorists and Meme Merchants (31)
- TRAYVON MARTIN (2)
- U.S. and British Imperial Intrigue (45)
- U.S. CULTURE OF FEAR AND NARCISSISM (109)
- U.S. First Strike Nuke Policy (6)
- U.S. Govt and Al Qaeda (37)
- U.S. IMPERIAL DECLINE (137)
- U.S. Intelligence and Fascism (86)
- U.S. Terrorism (188)
- Uncategorized (120)
- US and Candian Holocausts (17)
- Vantucky Corruption and Inbredness (59)
- Veterans issues (91)
- Videos Must See (29)
- Skull and Bones (28)
- washington's blog (2)
- WBAI Doug Henwood (3)
- WESTERN DALAI LAMA IMPERIALISM AND FASCISM (2)
- Whistleblowers (87)
- WHO WHAT WHY (4)
- WIKILEAKS-STRATFOR EMAILS (2)
- Wisdom of the Ages and Sages (1)
- Zionism and Anti-Semitism (25)
- Zionism as Racism and Fascism (40)
- ZS (2)